The Redwood Hose Station 8 served Newport, Rhode Island from 1887 to 1912. After acting as an upholstery shop and a triplex apartment, the old fire station was converted into a four-story dwelling. Its current state is the result of a three-year renovation that restored the building while preserving its historic character, including its original bricks and a fire pole. Although its exterior has retained its authentic appearance, the four-bedroom, three-bathroom interior has been loaded with modern amenities from a Thyssenkrupp elevator and 200 amp Tesla car charger to a SONOS sound system and radiant floors. Rooms are washed in natural light through 9-foot windows and an atrium above the staircase. A third-floor master suite occupies the third floor where track doors open to a terrace. From there, a spiral staircase leads to the rooftop overlooking Newport Harbor.
Photos: Sotheby's International Realty